Professional Training (CPD) for Therapists and Health Professionals
Working Therapeutically with Clients with High Functioning Autism – with Helen Franklin
November 27 @ 10:00 am-4:30 pm£95 – £105
Event re-scheduled to Saturday 27th November 2021
In the UK, one per cent of people are diagnosed with an autism spectrum condition. Counsellors and psychotherapists are increasingly finding that people with an autism diagnosis (or those they might suspect have autism) are reaching out for therapeutic support. And yet, on most diploma, degree or even masters training programmes, working with autistic process is never mentioned. This leaves many clinicians feeling de-skilled and confused when encountering autism in the consulting room and means that autistic adults, who desperately need our help, are often left adrift.
This workshop will be a mixture of teaching and experiential learning, and aims to give practitioners a grounding in working with adults with high functioning autism. The characteristics, challenges and potential strengths of an autism spectrum condition will be explored, and delegates will develop an understanding of how they can adapt and enrich their practice to work with this fascinating client group.
We will cover:
- What is the autism spectrum?
- Separating the myths from the facts
- Issues around diagnosis with special reference to autism in girls
- What kind of therapeutic approaches work best and which are contra-indicated?
- Understanding the overlap between trauma practice and autism: how understanding the Window of Tolerance and Polyvagal theory can empower us in our work with people on the spectrum
- Understanding sensory integration
- Useful skills and techniques for working with clients on the spectrum
- How might I structure an assessment with someone on the spectrum?
- Building self- esteem, self-compassion and the ability to be in relationship
Helen Franklin has a master’s degree in Gestalt psychotherapy from the Metanoia Institute and a diploma in contemporary trauma practice. She has long been fascinated with working with people with autism and, in the 1990s, ran support groups for teenagers on the spectrum in West Berkshire schools. As fate would have it, it became clear, while training as a psychotherapist, that her second child had autism. As a result, Helen brings her embodied experience as a parent living alongside a child with autism and her clinical experience, working with adults with ASD.
This event will be open to all therapists and health professionals
The vast majority of our professional CPD events are led by psychotherapists. Each delegate is responsible for self-care should material during the event trigger difficult personal feelings.
Alternatively to book: email email@example.com or phone 07599 369566 with the name of the event(s) you wish to attend plus the following information: your full name; postal address; best contact telephone number and job title.
Postal address for cheques: Wendy Bramham, 47C Kingsbury St, Marlborough SN8 1JE.
A confirmation and receipt will be emailed to you.