Professional Training (CPD) for Therapists and Health Professionals
Working Alongside Transgender, Non-binary & Gender Questioning Clients – with Amanda Middleton
September 26 @ 10:00 am-4:30 pm£95 – £105
This one day workshop is an interactive opportunity to explore and learn how you might better work alongside clients who are transgender, gender diverse, questioning their gender and/or non binary and, where appropriate, their partners/families. We will explore the basics of language and the social, legal and medical systems that surround and support these clients, and better understand what therapeutic work can be undertaken in this context. We will explore how and which psychological/clinical theories can support our reflexive processes and therapeutic practice. The day will also provide the opportunity to get better at having conversations about gender and its intersections in the lives of the people to whom we offer therapeutic space.
- Get self-reflexive about gender diversity
- Understand the relationship between sex, gender and sexual orientation and how it impacts on the family life-cycle
- Feel more confident in understanding how gender is constructed and the impact this has on identity, relationships and therapy
- Learn the basics of language and the socio-cultural systems that impact this client group.
- Be able to identify good practice in relation to working alongside and supporting transgender and gender diverse clients
- Feel more confident to engage in conversations about gender and gender diversity and support trans, non-binary, gender questioning people, their partners and families.
Amanda Middleton is a Systemic and Family Psychotherapist, with a particular interest in diverse genders and sexualities. She is a Clinical Associate at The Pink Practice, and an Associate at Pink Therapy offering training that combines gender, sexual and relationship diversity with clinical sexology and queer theory. She leads consultation groups for the Network at Gendered Intelligence, and has co-edited a special edition of Context Magazine, a resource for Systemic Psychotherapists supporting trans people and their families (Edition 155: February 2018). Amanda has a commitment to and expertise in working with gender, sexuality, marginalisation and difference. Initially qualifying as a Psychologist in Australia, she has 20 years of experience in working in the gender and sexuality, dual diagnosis, HIV and sexual health, drug and alcohol use, and domestic violence sectors.
This event will be open to psychological therapists (including trainees) from all modalities and healthcare professionals.
The vast majority of our professional CPD events are led by psychotherapists. Each delegate is responsible for self-care should material during the event trigger difficult personal feelings.
Alternatively to book: email email@example.com or phone 07599 369566 with the name of the event(s) you wish to attend plus the following information: your full name; postal address; best contact telephone number and job title.
Postal address for cheques: Wendy Bramham, 47C Kingsbury St, Marlborough SN8 1JE.
A confirmation and receipt will be emailed to you.