The Relational Challenges of Love & Sexuality in the Consulting Room – Paul Renn
May 12 @ 10:00 am-1:00 pm£57
This seminar will explore the sexual and idealised attraction between therapist and client from a relationship standpoint. Paul Renn will draw on developmental theory as well as drawing on clinical “moments” & case discussion to explore the relational and ethical challenges of love and sexuality in the consulting room.
Paul will give a talk in three sections:
1. Modern developmental theory regarding sexuality
- demystification of psychoanalytic thinking
- relational and attachment perspectives
- regulation of affect integrating love and desire, attachment and sexuality
2. Love and Sexuality in the Consulting Room
- different forms of love within the therapeutic relationship
- difficulties of enactments
- the contentious issue of therapist self-disclosure
- factors that may cause boundary-crossing
3. Moments of Meeting – A clinical vignette
- the importance of playfulness whilst maintaining boundaries
- selective self-disclosure to create meaningful and authentic emotional connections with clients, which can feel risky
There will be plenty of time for questions, answers and discussion.
Paul Renn is a UKCP accredited relational psychoanalytic psychotherapist and author in private practice in London. He is a training therapist and supervisor and latterly trained at The Centre for Attachment-based Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy, now renamed The Bowlby centre. He is the author of a number of book chapters and journal articles published in the UK, and the author of The Silent past and the Invisible Present.
View Flyer (PDF file – printable)
This seminar will be suitable for all talking therapists and related health professionals (incl those in training).
Tickets: £57, Early Bird booking before 2018 – £47
Includes parking and refreshments but not lunch. CPD certificates and handouts will be supplied.
Alternatively to book: email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 07599 369566 with the name of the event(s) you wish to attend plus the following information: your full name; postal address; best contact telephone number and job title.
Postal address for cheques: Wendy Bramham, 47C Kingsbury St, Marlborough SN8 1JE.
A confirmation and receipt will be emailed to you.